30 Years Ago This Year in Technology I.....



    • First started using the new, high density, more resilient 3.5" floppy disks instead of the 5.25" floppies that I had grown up with.
    • Used my first GUI instead of having nothing but a command line.
    • Used a mouse for the first time, but I knew what they were before that.

    (Should also be noted that while I didn't play it that year, thirty years ago this year was the initial release of King's Quest.)



  • 30 years ago my mom had one of those dot matrix baby pictures printed of me.



  • 1984? I did not have my TRS-80 yet, butioftenplayed on a TI-99 at a friend's house.



  • Wow, you're old. 😛
    I didn't exist then.



  • 30 years ago, my father was just leaving NYC and moving back to Upstate NY, and hadn't met my mom yet.



  • Let's see... 1984...
    I had a cousin who lived an hour away who had a C-64. Yup, that about sums it up for me. Oh, and we had a 1984 Chevette (the epitomy of technology, of course).



  • In '84 my dad (aka whole family) was transferred from Guam to Nebraska, I was 8.



  • 1984... was probably playing Kings Quest with my cousin he had a computer. But we were only allowed to sit there for like a half hour cause the screen would burn our eyes if we played more than that a day.



  • @Minion-Queen said:

    1984... was probably playing Kings Quest with my cousin he had a computer. But we were only allowed to sit there for like a half hour cause the screen would burn our eyes if we played more than that a day.

    Seriously? LOL



  • @thanksaj said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    1984... was probably playing Kings Quest with my cousin he had a computer. But we were only allowed to sit there for like a half hour cause the screen would burn our eyes if we played more than that a day.

    Seriously? LOL

    AJ, CRTs actually burned your eyeballs. The electrons hitting the back of your eyeball would warm up the receptor surface and potentially cause it to separate from the eyeball itself. LCDs were a really big deal for a reason.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    1984... was probably playing Kings Quest with my cousin he had a computer. But we were only allowed to sit there for like a half hour cause the screen would burn our eyes if we played more than that a day.

    Seriously? LOL

    AJ, CRTs actually burned your eyeballs. The electrons hitting the back of your eyeball would warm up the receptor surface and potentially cause it to separate from the eyeball itself. LCDs were a really big deal for a reason.

    Hmmm. I used CRTs for years for hours on end each day and never felt that. I'm not saying you're wrong, that's just news to me.



  • aww, but did you use 80's CRTs?



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    @Minion-Queen said:

    1984... was probably playing Kings Quest with my cousin he had a computer. But we were only allowed to sit there for like a half hour cause the screen would burn our eyes if we played more than that a day.

    Seriously? LOL

    AJ, CRTs actually burned your eyeballs. The electrons hitting the back of your eyeball would warm up the receptor surface and potentially cause it to separate from the eyeball itself. LCDs were a really big deal for a reason.

    We used to call CRTs "eye-socket-burners".
    I remember the warm eyes after spending time in front of them and their high pitch whine



  • yeah, when refresh rate really mattered!



  • @thanksaj said:

    Hmmm. I used CRTs for years for hours on end each day and never felt that. I'm not saying you're wrong, that's just news to me.

    We all did, there was no other choice. That's why it was important to sit as far back from the screen as possible. Every inch closer to the screen exponentially increased exposure.

    You cannot have used a CRT all that much, you aren't old enough today, more than a decade into the LCD era, to have used a CRT as long as many of us did.



  • @nadnerB said:

    We used to call CRTs "eye-socket-burners".
    I remember the warm eyes after spending time in front of them and their high pitch whine
    I could hear that whine from halfway across the house. It drove me crazy that people would leave their monitors on. Everyone else was like "I can't hear anything", meanwhile my head was swimming.



  • Whenever I would walk down the hall in school, if there was a monitor or a TV set left on, I could hear it. I guess that's not normal, as everyone else couldn't believe I could hear that. Of course, every time I said "hey, there's a TV on in there", I was right and there was a muted TV or monitor on in the room.



  • @Dashrender said:

    aww, but did you use 80's CRTs?

    Nothing that old.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Hmmm. I used CRTs for years for hours on end each day and never felt that. I'm not saying you're wrong, that's just news to me.

    We all did, there was no other choice. That's why it was important to sit as far back from the screen as possible. Every inch closer to the screen exponentially increased exposure.

    You cannot have used a CRT all that much, you aren't old enough today, more than a decade into the LCD era, to have used a CRT as long as many of us did.

    I got rid of my last CRT in 2006. I used CRTs exclusively for over 10 years.



  • @thanksaj said:

    I got rid of my last CRT in 2006. I used CRTs exclusively for over 10 years.

    I got rid of all of them long before that, but I still put in more than 26 years with nothing else.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    I got rid of my last CRT in 2006. I used CRTs exclusively for over 10 years.

    I got rid of all of them long before that, but I still put in more than 26 years with nothing else.

    You seem to think I'm "too young" to have used or remember a lot of things.



  • CRT's haven't had the eye burning issues since the turn of the century. I'd say if you didn't use them in the mid 90's or before, you probably don't understand.



  • @Dashrender said:

    CRT's haven't had the eye burning issues since the turn of the century. I'd say if you didn't use them in the mid 90's or before, you probably don't understand.

    I did use them in the mid 90s. I used my first computer around 1997. I may just not remember the burning you describe. I was 5 in 1997.



  • was 6 years old and don't remember having a computer at that point but I know we had an Atari.



  • 30 years ago I was teaching 8th grade students to animate graphics on Commodore 64 computers networked to share 5.25" floppy drives and printers. I also picked up my first and only certification on computers- Commodore Repair.


Log in to reply