New Linear Accelerator in Ithaca


  • Service Provider

    This is in the town where @dominica and I first met. I used to live right around the corner from this facility.

    http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2014/10/linear-accelerator-could-improve-x-rays-particle-colliders



  • That is very interesting. Who would have guessed that there would be a particle accelerator in such a remote location.



  • It's safer to put them in remote locations, less people to die if the thing explodes!


  • Service Provider

    or if you accidentally make a black hole.



  • @Reid-Cooper said:

    That is very interesting. Who would have guessed that there would be a particle accelerator in such a remote location.

    I've never heard Ithaca, or Cornell being referred to as remote.


  • Service Provider

    @coliver said:

    I've never heard Ithaca, or Cornell being referred to as remote.

    For you they are the center of the universe. But... they are seriously remote.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    I've never heard Ithaca, or Cornell being referred to as remote.

    For you they are the center of the universe. But... they are seriously remote.

    Heh, well it is equidistant to Albany and Ithaca, so not the center but one of the big three.



  • @coliver said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    I've never heard Ithaca, or Cornell being referred to as remote.

    For you they are the center of the universe. But... they are seriously remote.

    Heh, well it is equidistant to Albany and Ithaca, so not the center but one of the big three.

    Coming from someone who grew up in Syracuse, Cornell and Ithaca, and even places like Binghamton, are all considered out in the middle of nowhere.



  • @thanksaj said:

    @coliver said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @coliver said:

    I've never heard Ithaca, or Cornell being referred to as remote.

    For you they are the center of the universe. But... they are seriously remote.

    Heh, well it is equidistant to Albany and Ithaca, so not the center but one of the big three.

    Coming from someone who grew up in Syracuse, Cornell and Ithaca, and even places like Binghamton, are all considered out in the middle of nowhere.

    I guess I never thought of that... I mean I am in the middle of nowhere, but never considered one of the "big" cities to be anything like that.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksaj said:

    Coming from someone who grew up in Syracuse, Cornell and Ithaca, and even places like Binghamton, are all considered out in the middle of nowhere.

    Binghamton is larger than the largest city in many states. It's only a little smaller than 'Cuse and far bigger than you think. It's more than three times the size of the Ithaca metra (99K vs. 335K.) It's big.


  • Service Provider

    Cornell is 35,000 acres of farmland. It's as "nowhere" as anything that is something can be.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Cornell is 35,000 acres of farmland. It's as "nowhere" as anything that is something can be.

    Except the "small" city of Ithaca that it sits right next to.

    This is mostly for fun, I know it is in the middle of nowhere but perspective is everything in this case.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    Coming from someone who grew up in Syracuse, Cornell and Ithaca, and even places like Binghamton, are all considered out in the middle of nowhere.

    Binghamton is larger than the largest city in many states. It's only a little smaller than 'Cuse and far bigger than you think. It's more than three times the size of the Ithaca metra (99K vs. 335K.) It's big.

    Still, while it may be big, it kind of sits in the middle of nowhere. You go through Binghamton on your way to PA, or you go there for the college.



  • @scottalanmiller You obviously don't drive 81 much...going 81 south from Syracuse, after you hit Lafayette, there isn't much between there and Binghamton. Then you go through Binghamton. Then nothing again. For many miles.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksaj said:

    Still, while it may be big, it kind of sits in the middle of nowhere. You go through Binghamton on your way to PA, or you go there for the college.

    It's the home of IBM and several other big businesses and while it seems like nowhere coming from Syracuse because of the direction that you are headed, it actually sits on the route from Chicago and Cleveland to New York City. That it is on the Syracuse to Scranton intersection too is just a bonus. Binghamton is an east-west metro with a lot more than you would guess if you only traverse it north to south.


  • Service Provider

    @thanksaj said:

    @scottalanmiller You obviously don't drive 81 much...going 81 south from Syracuse, after you hit Lafayette, there isn't much between there and Binghamton. Then you go through Binghamton. Then nothing again. For many miles.

    No one has driven it more than me. You forget that I've worked in Ithaca, went to school in Cortland, worked and oversaw programs in Syracuse, worked in Binghamton and then, for many years, maintained a home in Ithaca while commuting to and from Washington. I've driven 81 so many tends of thousands of miles it isn't funny. I've commuted both directions on it. I've driving it from the Canadian bridge all the way till it ends in the Great Smokies. I know every inch of that highway and every little town along it.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @thanksaj said:

    @scottalanmiller You obviously don't drive 81 much...going 81 south from Syracuse, after you hit Lafayette, there isn't much between there and Binghamton. Then you go through Binghamton. Then nothing again. For many miles.

    No one has driven it more than me. You forget that I've worked in Ithaca, went to school in Cortland, worked and oversaw programs in Syracuse, worked in Binghamton and then, for many years, maintained a home in Ithaca while commuting to and from Washington. I've driven 81 so many tends of thousands of miles it isn't funny. I've commuted both directions on it. I've driving it from the Canadian bridge all the way till it ends in the Great Smokies. I know every inch of that highway and every little town along it.

    I feel almost sorry for you for that story... I've driven most of 81 a number of times... it really isn't that fun a road, that 230 miles of PA is about the most boring I've ever done in a car.


  • Service Provider

    It's not. Driving 81 is horrible. I've driven the new 99 corridor a lot too.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    It's not. Driving 81 is horrible. I've driven the new 99 corridor a lot too.

    Never done the 99 corridor, my fiance is from Pitt, so we take 17 and then the "back roads", which are still better maintained then most of the roads where I'm from, to get back and forth



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    It's not. Driving 81 is horrible. I've driven the new 99 corridor a lot too.

    Took a road trip from NY to a friend's house in NC. Counting getting out of my development and my driveway, it was a left, left, left, right, right, left. Underbrush to Pinegate Parkway to Soule Road to 481 to 81...then 700 miles of 81 to a highway in NC that was another 100 miles. Take that highway to the end and keep going straight a few miles, right onto his street, left into his driveway. For a trip over 800 miles, it couldn't have been much simpler.

    81 through VA was pretty though.



  • @coliver said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    It's not. Driving 81 is horrible. I've driven the new 99 corridor a lot too.

    Never done the 99 corridor, my fiance is from Pitt, so we take 17 and then the "back roads", which are still better maintained then most of the roads where I'm from, to get back and forth

    PA drivers...the kamikazes of the roadway...


  • Service Provider

    @coliver said:

    Never done the 99 corridor, my fiance is from Pitt, so we take 17 and then the "back roads", which are still better maintained then most of the roads where I'm from, to get back and forth

    I lived in Pitt for a while. Love that town. NTG started in Ithaca but I was immediately placed in Pitt in March, 2000.



  • @scottalanmiller Never actually been into Pitt proper, her family lives about an hour north east. Small town near Indiana PA. Although it is on the plan of the times we go to visit her family.


  • Service Provider

    I lived downtown, right in Shadyside. Great city.