I think I need to look into setting up a SBC or STUN server for a client



  • I have a client that will be moving to a Asterisk based PBX soon (they are testing devices now).

    I want to give them roaming user functionality. A STUN server will get me past NAT issues, but provides no security. I am not familiar with a session border controller (SBC) as it has not been something I have had to deal with yet. A little searching led me to some recommended devices, but left me with questions.

    Can anyone point my searches in a solid direction?

    edit: bah posted in wrong section. move this please?



  • I guess follow me wasn't good enough for roaming?



  • @NetworkNerd said:

    I guess follow me wasn't good enough for roaming?

    Does that work for softphones?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @NetworkNerd said:

    I guess follow me wasn't good enough for roaming?

    Does that work for softphones?

    That is for forwarding. It works for its purpose. Sorry I was not clear. For roamining external devices.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @NetworkNerd said:

    I guess follow me wasn't good enough for roaming?

    Does that work for softphones?

    It works at the extension level. You can turn on follow me to ring another extension / group of extensions at the same time as yours, after a certain number of seconds, ring each in succession, etc. You can even add an external number to follow me settings so someone can ring their cell phone in addition to their desk phone.



  • As long as your PSTN provider's configuring the SBC, it should be pretty straightforward, much like any other SIP endpoint for connectivity to your PBX.



  • The owner at this client where I am demoing a PBX system has decided he wants a phone in his house in Cancun. Oh and he leaves Sunday.
    Seriously? You haven't even agreed to my proposal to set up the phone system yet!!!
    Guess I can take this as a positive that he will go forward on my proposal.

    Going to have to setup OpenVPN in client/server move because I think the Yealink can accept the config file for that. I refuse to open an IP (or block since i doubt he has a static address) to a part time residence in another country.



  • Have fun with that 😉



  • It would be awesome to see Pertino move into this space as well! soft or hard phones with Pertino could make life grand!



  • Hey @josh get the team on that!!!



  • @Dashrender said:

    It would be awesome to see Pertino move into this space as well! soft or hard phones with Pertino could make life grand!

    We have soft phones with Pertino. They've handled that from day one!



  • The problem right now for us is that Pertino is CentOS 6 only, not CentOS 5. But Elastix is CentOS 5 only right now. So it is the PBX, not the soft phones, that are the issue. But all of our softphones are today already on Pertino and have been for a year.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    It would be awesome to see Pertino move into this space as well! soft or hard phones with Pertino could make life grand!

    We have soft phones with Pertino. They've handled that from day one!

    No, they need to get a phone manufacturer on board and embed it.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    It would be awesome to see Pertino move into this space as well! soft or hard phones with Pertino could make life grand!

    We have soft phones with Pertino. They've handled that from day one!

    No, they need to get a phone manufacturer on board and embed it.

    I agree, Snom and Yealink. But for softphones, the job is already done.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I agree, Snom and Yealink. But for softphones, the job is already done.

    And it is already valid for my PBX since I use PBX in a Flash and that is on 6. This makes me debate my choice to use Elastix at this client though. As they have Pertino in place for a few things already (10 device account) I could leverage that for soft phones on the sales guys laptops since they are the ones with Pertino now. I would just need to use PBX in a Flash instead of Elastix. Hmmm



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    I agree, Snom and Yealink. But for softphones, the job is already done.

    And it is already valid for my PBX since I use PBX in a Flash and that is on 6. This makes me debate my choice to use Elastix at this client though. As they have Pertino in place for a few things already (10 device account) I could leverage that for soft phones on the sales guys laptops since they are the ones with Pertino now. I would just need to use PBX in a Flash instead of Elastix. Hmmm

    Elastix 3 will address that but it is Beta only now.



  • As this is a client that I am fairly active at, I do not care too much if it is not Elastix, but that is what I was planning to set up. The slowness of Elastix updating bothers me, but the integration of features makes it hard to resist.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    As this is a client that I am fairly active at, I do not care too much if it is not Elastix, but that is what I was planning to set up. The slowness of Elastix updating bothers me, but the integration of features makes it hard to resist.

    Elastix updates are really good for the past two years. People often think that they are behind when they are actually, often, ahead of the curve.



  • Adding Pertino to the mix is another reason to go with PBXin a Flash as well as the fact that I do not need any of the extra integration! just that they would be nice.



  • How are you using the softphones on Pertino if it can't connect to the CentOS 5 box?

    Or are you saying simply that the softphones already have Pertino integrated into it's software (or that since Pertino is on the computer you're using, the softphone will just use it)?



  • @Dashrender said:

    How are you using the softphones on Pertino if it can't connect to the CentOS 5 box?

    The soft phones are on Pertino but we don't use them that way yet. Since the PBX is not.



  • All software on a Pertino PC is on the Pertino VPN. So any soft phone will work with Pertino.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    All software on a Pertino PC is on the Pertino VPN. So any soft phone will work with Pertino.

    OK. so the softphone had no clue about Pertino specifically - it just gets the benefits from being on a PC with Pertino installed... gotcha!



  • @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    All software on a Pertino PC is on the Pertino VPN. So any soft phone will work with Pertino.

    OK. so the softphone had no clue about Pertino specifically - it just gets the benefits from being on a PC with Pertino installed... gotcha!

    Exactly Pertino is just a transparent IP network layer.

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    All software on a Pertino PC is on the Pertino VPN. So any soft phone will work with Pertino.

    OK. so the softphone had no clue about Pertino specifically - it just gets the benefits from being on a PC with Pertino installed... gotcha!


Log in to reply