Wireless electricity may soon power cell phones, cars and even heart pumps





  • It's very cool technology. I've seen it used for lightbulbs. But only in a demo. Not real life. Isn't super efficient last I saw though.



  • I love the idea of this, now for phone cover manufactures to start taking the fatter cases into account.



  • One issue will be accidental, continuous trickle charges killing battery life.



  • I've heard of that, but not at that distance before. Interesting. We need this for under the roads to power cars. πŸ˜ƒ



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    One issue will be accidental, continuous trickle charges killing battery life.

    I'm assuming electronics on the device side could solve this?



  • @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    One issue will be accidental, continuous trickle charges killing battery life.

    I'm assuming electronics on the device side could solve this?

    To some degree, but moreso it requires humans to be smarter than they have been.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Dashrender said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    One issue will be accidental, continuous trickle charges killing battery life.

    I'm assuming electronics on the device side could solve this?

    To some degree, but moreso it requires humans to be smarter than they have been.

    I don't follow - My HTC phones never told me to unplug them when they were fully charged. To the best of my knowledge they would stop charging on their own.

    I've noticed though, that my Samsung Galaxy S4 dings and then tells me to unplug it when it reaches 100% charged. Which I'm not likely to do if I'm sleeping - even when I do see it, if I'm not leaving I just ignore it.
    Are you saying I should change my behavior?



  • @Dashrender they do not stop charging on their own. Their burn out their batteries. New phones do this better than they used to by charging and discharging in cycles but it still requires you to know when to unplug to get maximum battery life.

    The device can't know how you intend to use it. Plugging in or unplugging is how you tell it your desires.

    Think about it. If it stopped charging it would run down to zero while plugged in.

    Even with wall plugs, battery charging is too complex for most people and they just kill their batteries. Make it something that happens invisibly and it will really get bad.



  • So how do you handle charging?

    I've read that it's best to keep Lithium Ion batteries fully charged as often as possible - it makes them last longer and they don't suffer from memory problems like old NiCad. Granted over charging is bad,

    What best practice do you use?



  • @Dashrender said:

    So how do you handle charging?

    I've read that it's best to keep Lithium Ion batteries fully charged as often as possible - it makes them last longer and they don't suffer from memory problems like old NiCad. Granted over charging is bad,

    What best practice do you use?

    That's marketing. They don't have memory like they used to but you can see a noticeable drop in longevity after a single partial charge.

    Best practices remain the same. Full charge and full discharge only whenever possible.



  • Now that batteries are often built in and not replaceable, there is a huge amount of money in convincing people to kill their batteries early and make them but another $700 phone sooner.



  • Tesla wasn't all that crazy after all......

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

    It's a shame the place is in shambles today.



  • After my family insisted that I was supposed to charge my cell phone before it died, and that it didn't matter to battery life, blah, blah, blah, I tried it. I noticed immediately that the battery seemed to be dying faster and faster, until I was having to keep it plugged in most of the time. I decided to try to fix it, since at the time I still had a year left on my contract before I could renew and get a new phone. I started letting the phone fully discharge, and then fully charge before unplugging it, and after a week or so of this, I conditioned the battery so that now I get a day out of it before having to charge it again.



  • I've been testing this on batteries for years. It's always been the same. Treat your battery well and they last forever. Do what vendors recommend and it sounds good but you replace batteries in a year.



  • A dream come true for the NSA. Devices will not have the ability to truly be turned off anymore.



  • @IRJ Time to start a faraday cage business, mayhap?



  • @Bill-Kindle said:

    Tesla wasn't all that crazy after all......

    Obligatoryβ€”

    http://i.imgur.com/qtPEiw0.jpg



  • This Wireless Electricity is good if it will work in Rural Area.



  • @Joyfano said:

    This Wireless Electricity is good if it will work in Rural Area.

    Distance is the trick. The power drops rapidly from the source. So traditionally you have to have it in every room that you want it. It doesn't go far enough to go from house to house. Which is probably good because no one would know whom to bill for power usage.



  • @scottalanmiller

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Joyfano said:

    This Wireless Electricity is good if it will work in Rural Area.

    Distance is the trick. The power drops rapidly from the source. So traditionally you have to have it in every room that you want it. It doesn't go far enough to go from house to house. Which is probably good because no one would know whom to bill for power usage.

    Yeah so i am wondering if the said wireless Electricity need to have internet connection also password.
    In our province we are using Solar Energy .



  • @Joyfano said:

    @scottalanmiller

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Joyfano said:

    This Wireless Electricity is good if it will work in Rural Area.

    Distance is the trick. The power drops rapidly from the source. So traditionally you have to have it in every room that you want it. It doesn't go far enough to go from house to house. Which is probably good because no one would know whom to bill for power usage.

    Yeah so i am wondering if the said wireless Electricity need to have internet connection also password.
    In our province we are using Solar Energy .

    You would still use wireless, wireless is to replace batteries, not power lines or solar cells. The idea of wireless is that it means you don't have to plug your phone into the wall to charge, it just has to be near the wall. You still have to run power to the house and run power in the walls the traditional way.



  • I see got it now. πŸ™‚



  • It is a great idea though. Think about all of the cords that you have all over the house to plug things in. They are dangerous and messy. This would eliminate those and change how batteries work. In theory it could make some devices more efficient. But there are a lot of hurtles too.

    For me, the awesome thing is that iPads, phones, laptops and similar devices would never die or charge, they would just be wirelessly powered all of the time.



  • yeah so no need to worry if you forgot your laptop charger .. it means.. you can charge anywhere πŸ™‚



  • @Joyfano said:

    yeah so no need to worry if you forgot your laptop charger .. it means.. you can charge anywhere πŸ™‚

    Exactly. As long as everyone installs this kind of charging. Switching people over will be the hard thing. And it isn't going to work for your dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, laundry machines, water heater, etc. It is really only designed for small electronic components.



  • @scottalanmiller

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Joyfano said:

    yeah so no need to worry if you forgot your laptop charger .. it means.. you can charge anywhere πŸ™‚

    Exactly. As long as everyone installs this kind of charging. Switching people over will be the hard thing. And it isn't going to work for your dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, laundry machines, water heater, etc. It is really only designed for small electronic components.

    That would be amazing things i guess. No need to plug/unplug .



  • There are a few challenges. Inside the phone they have to switch from batteries to high longevity capacitors to make it work. There is a lot of research going on to make that happen, but it alone is a big hurtle.


Log in to reply