Dragon Age Origin is Free!


  • Service Provider

    That's right, to promote the November release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, BioWare is making the original title completely free!

    http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/8/6947279/dragon-age-origins-free-pc-origin-electronic-arts



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    That's right, to promote the November release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, BioWare is making the original title completely free!

    http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/8/6947279/dragon-age-origins-free-pc-origin-electronic-arts

    Sweet! I can't wait for Inquisition!



  • Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Dragon Age 2 took all the fun and complex RPG elements of the game and dumbed them down for button mashers and FPS people. Not to mention that all the dungeons looked the same and the story in general sucked compared to Orgins. That is why I WONT preorder Inquisition.



  • I played a bit of Origin and thought it was a good time... Although I would much rather play the old Baulder's Gate and Icewind Dale games over this style of modern RPG.



  • @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Dragon Age 2 took all the fun and complex RPG elements of the game and dumbed them down for button mashers and FPS people. Not to mention that all the dungeons looked the same and the story in general sucked compared to Orgins. That is why I WONT preorder Inquisition.

    DA2 had a lot of issues. They kept re-using maps, it was real-time with a totally different (not good way) feel, and the story line was eh at best.



  • @ajstringham said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Dragon Age 2 took all the fun and complex RPG elements of the game and dumbed them down for button mashers and FPS people. Not to mention that all the dungeons looked the same and the story in general sucked compared to Orgins. That is why I WONT preorder Inquisition.

    DA2 had a lot of issues. They kept re-using maps, it was real-time with a totally different (not good way) feel, and the story line was eh at best.

    I am glad you share my concerns. That is why I don't trust DA's release of Inquisition. I am not sure why they felt like they had to completely change the whole game in DA2. Hopefully they go back to what its suppsoed to be.I can loan them some copies of KOTOR, Jade Empire, and DA1 if they forgot how its supposed to look and feel.



  • I am a very casual gamer. I usually only purchase 1 or 2 games a year. I don't spend too much time gaming so when I do game I want an EPIC RPG. I feel like I stuck $60 in a blender when i purchased DA2



  • @IRJ said:

    @ajstringham said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Dragon Age 2 took all the fun and complex RPG elements of the game and dumbed them down for button mashers and FPS people. Not to mention that all the dungeons looked the same and the story in general sucked compared to Orgins. That is why I WONT preorder Inquisition.

    DA2 had a lot of issues. They kept re-using maps, it was real-time with a totally different (not good way) feel, and the story line was eh at best.

    I am glad you share my concerns. That is why I don't trust DA's release of Inquisition. I am not sure why they felt like they had to completely change the whole game in DA2. Hopefully they go back to what its suppsoed to be.I can loan them some copies of KOTOR, Jade Empire, and DA1 if they forgot how its supposed to look and feel.

    KOTOR...oh the obsession...how I enjoyed you...lol



  • @IRJ said:

    I am a very casual gamer. I usually only purchase 1 or 2 games a year. I don't spend too much time gaming so when I do game I want an EPIC RPG. I feel like I stuck $60 in a blender when i purchased DA2

    I think the worst part was you had to fight an ogre at the beginning as the tutorial!



  • @ajstringham said:

    @IRJ said:

    I am a very casual gamer. I usually only purchase 1 or 2 games a year. I don't spend too much time gaming so when I do game I want an EPIC RPG. I feel like I stuck $60 in a blender when i purchased DA2

    I think the worst part was you had to fight an ogre at the beginning as the tutorial!

    For me there is no worst part because the entire game sucked. The story, the gameplay, repeat dungeons, lack of inventory control, boring sidekicks that really weren't attached to the story, and the game was short.



  • @IRJ said:

    @ajstringham said:

    @IRJ said:

    I am a very casual gamer. I usually only purchase 1 or 2 games a year. I don't spend too much time gaming so when I do game I want an EPIC RPG. I feel like I stuck $60 in a blender when i purchased DA2

    I think the worst part was you had to fight an ogre at the beginning as the tutorial!

    For me there is no worst part because the entire game sucked. The story, the gameplay, repeat dungeons, lack of inventory control, boring sidekicks that really weren't attached to the story, and the game was short.

    It was very short. Also, it was TOO guided. The awesome part of DA: Origins was that you could do it in any order and it was truly customizable. You were pretty much told where to go and when in DA2.


  • Service Provider

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.


  • Service Provider

    @IRJ said:

    For me there is no worst part because the entire game sucked. The story, the gameplay, repeat dungeons, lack of inventory control, boring sidekicks that really weren't attached to the story, and the game was short.

    I thought that the story was awesome, but did not put all the pieces together until the last thirty seconds. Until then I was lost and bummed. Once I knew the whole story I could not wait for Inquisition to come out.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    That is the one were Anders came in at the end, right?

    I cant remember if that was DA's expansion or DA2



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    The ending was surprising, that was for sure. Still, as an overall story, it was pretty weak.



  • @IRJ said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    That is the one were Anders came in at the end, right?

    I cant remember if that was DA's expansion or DA2

    DA2.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    Gameplay is my number one concern. Why did they feel the need to change it from DA to DA2?



  • @IRJ said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    Gameplay is my number one concern. Why did they feel the need to change it from DA to DA2?

    That is an excellent question. It was a mistake for sure.



  • DA2 was all about button mashing. It got annoying fast.


  • Service Provider

    @IRJ said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    Dragon Age 2 totally sucked IMO. I loved Origins though.

    Did you FINISH DA2. I've met lots of people that didn't like it, but none that finished it and didn't like it.

    That is the one were Anders came in at the end, right?

    I cant remember if that was DA's expansion or DA2

    That was DAO's expansion.


  • Service Provider

    @IRJ said:

    Gameplay is my number one concern. Why did they feel the need to change it from DA to DA2?

    I agree, the first was much better. But I think that the second still told a compelling story and is building up for the third installment.



  • Is it only the core game that is free or are any of the downloadable expansions available too?



  • @StrongBad said:

    Is it only the core game that is free or are any of the downloadable expansions available too?

    No DLC's. Just the original game.

    I like free stuff, so i'll have a sticky beak at it. Big download... For those of use with download caps.


  • Service Provider

    @nadnerB well worth it. One of my five top games of all time. It is @Dominica's all time favourite game.



  • Really awesome game. I would recommend giving it a try.



  • Buy the DLC! It alters the game completely!



  • I recommend the orginal KOTOR for the best experience of this style. DA is great too. Its more refined than KOTOR, but the story line and different places you visit in KOTOR can't be beat.


  • Service Provider

    @IRJ said:

    I recommend the orginal KOTOR for the best experience of this style. DA is great too. Its more refined than KOTOR, but the story line and different places you visit in KOTOR can't be beat.

    I love KOTOR too. But I like DAO better.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    I recommend the orginal KOTOR for the best experience of this style. DA is great too. Its more refined than KOTOR, but the story line and different places you visit in KOTOR can't be beat.

    I love KOTOR too. But I like DAO better.

    The first time I played through KOTOR, I used laser rifles and pistols with my main character. It amounted to all sorts of useless upgrades when I finally became a jedi. That is the fun part about RPGs though. Building your characters wrong the first time, makes it fun in the long run.



  • @IRJ said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @IRJ said:

    I recommend the orginal KOTOR for the best experience of this style. DA is great too. Its more refined than KOTOR, but the story line and different places you visit in KOTOR can't be beat.

    I love KOTOR too. But I like DAO better.

    The first time I played through KOTOR, I used laser rifles and pistols with my main character. It amounted to all sorts of useless upgrades when I finally became a jedi. That is the fun part about RPGs though. Building your characters wrong the first time, makes it fun in the long run.

    Never use blasters! Blades to lightsabers all the way!