Synergy Software KM- What do you guys use?



  • Right now I run technically three monitors. My laptop, an additional external hooked up to my laptop, and my desktop. I use one keyboard and mouse and can pretty seamlessly transition between all three of them with Synergy. Synergy works in a client/server fashion that you install on both machines and point to the host(server for which one you want to hook your keyboard and mouse up to. Very good for spreading your workload across your computers.

    One pitfall I have run into though is if my laptop, which is working as my server, is under heavy load, I cannot transition. I have to have some resources just available to be able to do it. Other than that, Synergy is working wonderfully for me.I could picture getting a multitude of PC's together with this kind of setup and just wreaking havoc on things.

    Do you guys use a system like this? Do you use a KVM to switch through multiple PC's?



  • I just use multiple monitors on a single machine.



  • @FiyaFly I used Synergy 2 jobs ago when I had 4 desktop machines to wrangle - 2 windows (Win7 and XP) and 2 Macs (Intel and Power PC).
    It worked great when it worked, though I will say that because my Mac keyboard was the primary, it lost the config settings from time to time and I'd have to rebuild the profile. Happened like clockwork every 6-8 months.



  • I am very interested to hear what people are using. Soon I will be moving to a 3 27" monitor setup for my Windows 8.1 desktop and a 22" attached to my MacBook so to take the question even further is there something that will work across both platforms?



  • @Minion-Queen Synergy actually will work across mac, linux, and PC according to their website, for what it is worth.



  • @FiyaFly said:

    @Minion-Queen Synergy actually will work across mac, linux, and PC according to their website, for what it is worth.

    Yes, and it does it quite well - should work well for you, @minion-queen



  • I use two monitors on a single desktop.

    @ajstringham is using something like 6 monitors



  • Hmm can I add my tablets in... that is the question. I would love to get the Ipad Mini, MacBook. Windows 8.1 desktop and Windows 8.1 tablet all to work seamlessly together. Though I will admit I don't know why I would need to do that but it would be cool 😛



  • @Dashrender said:

    I use two monitors on a single desktop.

    @ajstringham is using something like 6 monitors

    Yup, all hooked to a laptop no less. He's an odd one 😉
    Have you ever considered multiple PC's to go with the multiple monitors?



  • @FiyaFly said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I use two monitors on a single desktop.

    @ajstringham is using something like 6 monitors

    Yup, all hooked to a laptop no less. He's an odd one 😉
    Have you ever considered multiple PC's to go with the multiple monitors?

    Not for my work setup. I do have three monitors on my desk, but the third one is for the PC that's 'in the shop' getting worked on. It's not there long enough normally to spend the time setting up something like Synergy.



  • @Dashrender said:

    @FiyaFly said:

    @Dashrender said:

    I use two monitors on a single desktop.

    @ajstringham is using something like 6 monitors

    Yup, all hooked to a laptop no less. He's an odd one 😉
    Have you ever considered multiple PC's to go with the multiple monitors?

    Not for my work setup. I do have three monitors on my desk, but the third one is for the PC that's 'in the shop' getting worked on. It's not there long enough normally to spend the time setting up something like Synergy.

    Understandable.If you find yourself curious I know I can get a setup of Synergy down to like 2 minutes. Might save a little room on the desk. Pretty lightweight install and might make your life a bit easier.


Log in to reply