Clear DHCP Hostnames for your devices are useful



  • Router firmware update over the weekend. One client's desk phones did not all re-register with new NAT mappings.

    WTF.

    Rebooted router and all the phones (PoE switch FTW), still nope.

    [email protected]$%!!!

    Remotely got into one phone and changed the local SIP listening port, and boom registered. The phones all have "5060" by default, but when they hit the router, it usually negotiates something random. No idea why things did not remap after rebooting everything.

    WTF%$%&&^$$^$%$#%

    Some phones were up, so I manually got a couple important one online, then I went through and updated the config file for all the phones to specify their listen port. I went with 2+EXT for a standardized format.

    ## extension 5100
    sip.listen_port = 25100
    

    Getting the config files updated was simple, manual, but simple. Commited the local changes to the git repository and pulled the PBX pulled them down.

    Issued a SIP notify command to everything to reload their config.

    rasterisk -x 'pjsip send notify reload-yealink endpoint 5100 5101 5102 (etc)'
    

    All the online phones updated
    bdad6602-3604-4b89-bc77-d42b8979b42b-image.png

    Then I had to get the rest. I couldn't reboot the switch again because too many users were in the office by this point.

    Told the receptionist to have everyone reboot their phone if they still had issues. That got all but 10 phones online.

    So DHCP host name to the rescue. I always set this in the template for phones.
    84a9c938-f1bd-43ce-a05b-1311892736df-image.png

    That made it easy enough to remote into a local system and do a ping to each hostname
    7c973f91-fb4e-4f65-b761-01fde47d04e9-image.png

    and then hit the web interface for them
    3b14a2b6-c2a9-4025-bc99-d2bed2114ead-image.png

    and manually reload the phone config.
    7c8ac0ef-e207-4fdb-9500-2abd53e618b8-image.png