XenServer Not Booting

• Was having a few issues with my XenServer this morning. The host itself eventually froze up with this:

0_1525707946875_ae52ef19-f52d-4702-836f-87c288808af4-image.png

So I rebooted it. It took a long time for it to come up, and then it booted into Emergency Mode.

It boots off a 64GB USB stick. The VMs are stored on a 1.8TB SSD array (DELL H710).

Here is the first thing it says in emergency mode:

0_1525708016803_677cf0a6-72d3-4202-892b-b29bff4accb8-image.png

And here is a listing of the drives and partitions.

0_1525708053378_6d92d630-c221-45dc-9f01-c1488c8b38c7-image.png

Anyone have any thoughts? sbd is a unused partition I am considering reinstalling XS on to see if I can re-see the array. But thought I'd maybe see if it is fixable first.

Though wondering if the USB drive just finally gave up the ghost.

• I've had this happen in my lab, and it's always been resolved by reinstalling and the USB drive is usually dead and unable to be used elsewhere.

• This is where, if you can you would install to a new USB (though not recommended) and then mount your storage to XS. Once everything is back up and running you would then clone the USB so you'd have a spare USB and test it.

When you run updates to XS, you would then need to again clone the USB and test the new clone.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but this way you'd always have a working USB copy of your hypervisor for when your USB shits the bed.

• @dustinb3403 said in XenServer Not Booting:

I've had this happen in my lab, and it's always been resolved by reinstalling and the USB drive is usually dead and unable to be used elsewhere.

Yeah, that is what I am wondering.

• My recommendation would be, if you could to install to a HDD that is inside of the server, the USB route, while possible, just isn't worth the added time to clone and test the USB device every time you update.

• The culprit is likely that you'd didn't point your logs to a different directory, and those logs being written destroyed the USB.

• XenServer was never meant to be installed on a USB.

• RE: XS on USB comments ... trust me, I'll never do it again.

🙂

• @dustinb3403 said in XenServer Not Booting:

The culprit is likely that you'd didn't point your logs to a different directory, and those logs being written destroyed the USB.

No logs written to USB.

We spent forever going over all that, remember?

• @brrabill said in XenServer Not Booting:

@dustinb3403 said in XenServer Not Booting:

The culprit is likely that you'd didn't point your logs to a different directory, and those logs being written destroyed the USB.

No logs written to USB.

We spent forever going over all that, remember?

I don't remember, but in any case XS reading/writing to the USB killed your boot device