FreePBX Backup and Restore



  • I figured I'd share my experience with a test that I just ran.

    I created a backup using the Backup Wizard in FreePBX 14 answering yes to all items in Step 3, and used the local destination /var/spool/asterisk/backup. Once created, I ran it manually. To put it to the test, I deleted all of the extensions, and restored the local backup (checking all items in teh /var/ and /etc/ directories as well as checking PBX settings.

    Alas, my extensions do not populate in the Applications > Extensions module. My first though was, perhaps I need to restart the server, for the change to take effect in the GUI, unfortunately, that didn't make a difference.



  • @eddiejennings said in FreePBX Backup and Restore:

    I figured I'd share my experience with a test that I just ran.

    I created a backup using the Backup Wizard in FreePBX 14 answering yes to all items in Step 3, and used the local destination /var/spool/asterisk/backup. Once created, I ran it manually. To put it to the test, I deleted all of the extensions, and restored the local backup (checking all items in teh /var/ and /etc/ directories as well as checking PBX settings.

    Alas, my extensions do not populate in the Applications > Extensions module. My first though was, perhaps I need to restart the server, for the change to take effect in the GUI, unfortunately, that didn't make a difference.

    I have never successfully used the built in backup 100%.

    For a DR backup, I shut down the VM, make a VM backup(snapshot, whatever) and then download that.



  • For Vultr based systems I have tested reverting to a prior automated backup as well as a snapshot.



  • Seems like an easy enough set-and-forget backup method. Just to see, I did create a backup without the wizard and used the "full" template. My extensions were restored as expected when I restored the backup.



  • @eddiejennings said in FreePBX Backup and Restore:

    Seems like an easy enough set-and-forget backup method. Just to see, I did create a backup without the wizard and used the "full" template. My extensions were restored as expected when I restored the backup.

    I have set that up also, but not tested it because i know the VM backups work.



  • I've used the built in backup. It works great, preserving everything properly, as far as I can tell.