UPS Replacement

• How often should you replace your UPS units (the unit itself not the batteries)? Is there a 'best practice'?

• @ccwtech said in UPS Replacement:

How often should you replace your UPS units (the unit itself not the batteries)? Is there a 'best practice'?

Workstation or server?

• For a server

• Can't say that I have ever run into a Best Practice on a UPS unit replacement. Batteries are a different story.

Batteries can last 1-3 years based on they run duty cycle during an outage. Three years is really the max I would trust in a UPS.

You can replace the batteries of course, but once this occurs I would maybe consider a replacement UPS unit within 18-24 months - mainly to keep 'fresh hardware' - a UPS is a small generator, and they will wear down.

• Service Provider

UPS normally I'd think solidly 10-20 years. Batteries have to be maintained, but the UPS itself is pretty rugged and good for a really long time.

• @scottalanmiller said in UPS Replacement:

UPS normally I'd think solidly 10-20 years. Batteries have to be maintained, but the UPS itself is pretty rugged and good for a really long time.

My server ones are 10 yrs old. On their third set of batteries.

• I would have to say that SERVER class UPS units - ones built by EATON, APC, and similar are of the higher level and yes would likely last for 10~ years...

• IN the last 10 years, I've replaced countless batteries but only replaced maybe 2 UPS's (both APC pieces of junk) . We are in may cases on 3rd or 4th set of batteries.

• I personally replace the battery backup enclosures every 6 to 8 years since we are also changing hardware of servers so that goes as well.

• We are replacing APCs here that are 8 years old or better, and have already gone through 2 sets of batteries.

• I had 4x TrippLite 3U 3000VA units with their SNMP Webcards for network monitoring and control. The webcards were horrible. I always had issues with them locking up, losing certain settings upon reboot/power-cycle (which required them to be physically removed from the chassis) and had to replace several of them. TrippLite support was just as bad as their products. I loved getting woken up by my PRTG alerts at 3 in the morning when it couldn't communicate with those stupid cards.

At the 5-year mark, I finally ditched them in favor of some Eaton 5PX3000RT2U units with the NMS network card. I had already been using 2 of those for over a year without issue for my edge switch rack and am using and am mostly pleased. So I now have 6. I also have some 3rd gen PDUs and EATS 120s. The only thing I don't like about the ATS is that they don't have the ability to control the individual outlets, hence the additional need for a PDU.

• @wrx7m said in UPS Replacement:

I had 4x TrippLite 3U 3000VA units with their SNMP Webcards for network monitoring and control. The webcards were horrible. I always had issues with them locking up, losing certain settings upon reboot/power-cycle (which required them to be physically removed from the chassis) and had to replace several of them. TrippLite support was just as bad as their products. I loved getting woken up by my PRTG alerts at 3 in the morning when it couldn't communicate with those stupid cards.

At the 5-year mark, I finally ditched them in favor of some Eaton 5PX3000RT2U units with the NMS network card. I had already been using 2 of those for over a year without issue for my edge switch rack and am using and am mostly pleased. So I now have 6. I also have some 3rd gen PDUs and EATS 120s. The only thing I don't like about the ATS is that they don't have the ability to control the individual outlets, hence the additional need for a PDU.

I really like the Eaton 5PX line myself. Never upgraded the one we had with the network card tho.

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.