StarWind Virtual Tape License Error

• I get an error when trying to set up Virtual Tape saying the device type is not licensed using a free license.

I was under the impression the free license allows this.

This is what I'm trying to do:
    https://mangolassi.it/topic/13232/scdpm-2016-using-mbs/10

I waited a while for live chat, got disconnected for idling too long.

I'm just doing testing, in a testing environment, using Windows Server 2016 Evals, and probably will be for a little while as I am always juggling multiple large projects. So nothing is production except that some of the test data is from production data... as I would prefer to test with large amounts of data and it's so inconvenient to generate so much fake data.

So I'm not really sure what to ask for here.

• Service Provider

• I'd really like to get this going today. I'll try the live chat again soon.

• Okay, so it looks like it was a misunderstanding on my part.

I didn't realize the Virtual Tape Library was a completely different product sold separately, even though it's built-in StarWind vSAN.

Last time I read, I didn't notice the last part:

Free version comes with an unrestricted set of features: multi-tiered server side caching is available out of the box, scale-up and scale-out are both allowed, Log Structured File System with deduplication and asynchronous replication are also available in any deployment scenario, VTL is not included (see Comparison Matrix for details).

• So, can I get and load a new trial license so I don't have to download and reinstall?

• @Tim_G

@Tim_G said in StarWind Virtual Tape License Error:

I'd really like to get this going today. I'll try the live chat again soon.

Hi Tim!
    Sorry for a late reply. Actually the free version includes everything but the Virtual Tape plugin.
    The easiest way to try VTL is to opt in for the trial version. You'll get a trial key you can apply to your free installation without reinstalling.

• Vendor

OK, there are good news and bad news.

Bad news: VTL is NOT included in the free version.

Good news: we'll add some LIMITED availability of it soon, just didn't;t decide on a restriction set.

Excellent news: I can give away to Tim_G an unlimited VTL license free of charge "just because" :) So he's welcomed to drop me a line to

anton AT starwind DOT com

...and I'll engage him with the responsible persons here to move on.

P.S. Just a link to VTL thing:

StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL)

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/virtual-tape-library-feature

• @KOOLER said in StarWind Virtual Tape License Error:

OK, there are good news and bad news.

Bad news: VTL is NOT included in the free version.

Good news: we'll add some LIMITED availability of it soon, just didn't;t decide on a restriction set.

Excellent news: I can give away to Tim_G an unlimited VTL license free of charge "just because" :) So he's welcomed to drop me a line to

anton AT starwind DOT com

...and I'll engage him with the responsible persons here to move on.

P.S. Just a link to VTL thing:

StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL)

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/virtual-tape-library-feature

Sounds great, email sent!

This should get my project testing going once the license is ready.

Looks like your connection to MangoLassi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.