Identity Theft



  • anybody ever a victim? I just got somewhat lucky in that a friend of mine was trying to rent a house I used to rent. She replied to an add on Zillow in which someone pretending to be me. asking for a 2500 deposit, money orders, etc. what would you do? i have reported it to ICS but they will more than likely do nothing. I've got an email address and phone number. ya'll wanna play?



  • @Hubtech As much fun as that would be, you could easily become one who gets sued or whatever by the perp. Believe me. Parents just had to pay a former tenant who had done damage to their apartment and wanted to be payed for things she didn't own and she won. As crazy as it sounds, you are often at a judge's mercy, even when you're the victim.



  • My father's best friend sold a car to someone. He worked at a dealership or something of the sort. Car had a turbo engine and the guy took it out on a racetrack and opened it up and burned out the engine. He then sued my dad's friend/dealership for the car being defective. The warranty specifically said it does not cover racecar use. Not only did they have to refund his money but they had to pay him for time and damages. It's a messed up world. I have info of a few people who I'd love to do what you want to do with. But in the end, you'll be the one who gets burned. Not worth it.



  • @ajstringham said:

    @Hubtech As much fun as that would be, you could easily become one who gets sued or whatever by the perp. Believe me. Parents just had to pay a former tenant who had done damage to their apartment and wanted to be payed for things she didn't own and she won. As crazy as it sounds, you are often at a judge's mercy, even when you're the victim.

    NY is especially bad for that. NY is nationally famous for having no enforceable state laws.



  • @ajstringham said:

    My father's best friend sold a car to someone. He worked at a dealership or something of the sort. Car had a turbo engine and the guy took it out on a racetrack and opened it up and burned out the engine. He then sued my dad's friend/dealership for the car being defective. The warranty specifically said it does not cover racecar use. Not only did they have to refund his money but they had to pay him for time and damages. It's a messed up world. I have info of a few people who I'd love to do what you want to do with. But in the end, you'll be the one who gets burned. Not worth it.

    What you are describing is completely unlike identity theft. This is nothing like a warranty dispute.



  • @Hubtech said:

    anybody ever a victim? I just got somewhat lucky in that a friend of mine was trying to rent a house I used to rent. She replied to an add on Zillow in which someone pretending to be me. asking for a 2500 deposit, money orders, etc. what would you do? i have reported it to ICS but they will more than likely do nothing. I've got an email address and phone number. ya'll wanna play?

    Other than going to the FBI, there isn't too much to be done. Don't be the one who goes after anyone yourself, often that is illegal. Just give the details to the authorities. As this involves real estate fraud this is a major deal so would easily warrant the FBI's involvement.



  • @scottalanmiller I understand. What I'm saying is the legal system loves to do things that make no sense. That was my point.



  • @ajstringham said:

    @scottalanmiller I understand. What I'm saying is the legal system loves to do things that make no sense. That was my point.

    I understand but there is a limit where you stop living in fear of the law and actually use it. A major crime has been committed. We can't turn to anarchy and just live in fear. And this isn't NY, NY, to the best of my knowledge, is the only place is the USA where local authorities supersede state law and answer to no one. In other states, local judges serve the state rather than being their own authority. Your experience is purely in a unique place and is still a pretty extreme reaction of being on the loosing side of a dispute versus having been one of two victims of a major set of crimes.



  • and back on topic....I've reported to ICS, should I wait to hear from someone or see if I can get in touch with someone locally to him? or should I e-terrorize him?



  • @scottalanmiller <facepalm> Point missed.



  • @Hubtech said:

    and back on topic....I've reported to ICS, should I wait to hear from someone or see if I can get in touch with someone locally to him? or should I e-terrorize him?

    Don't terrorize him, that turns the tables and potentially makes you the bad guy... especially if you got the wrong person or something or couldn't prove the original crime. That takes on risk that you want nothing to do with.

    I would leave this to the authorities, there is little positive that you can do other than turning him over and maybe gathering more data to help the authorities. Whatever you do, remain passive in your efforts.


Log in to reply