@dbeato Lot's of good stuff here. I've been in a bit of a transition (had to make some changes so that I actually had money to pay the bills) so that slowed how quickly I was pumping out fixes but I think we're getting to a point where I'm almost back on track. I'll be looking into all these hopefully later today.
I definitely understand that! Just getting it out there what I found out.
@Sodium has come a long way in the last few months. But currently with the 20 minute signout - it's not something I can really use. It's just really impractical for me to return from addressing a issue after 15 - 20 minutes and have to sign in again...
Duly noted. This was a security choice but as this is not the first time I've heard this we will be looking into changing this.
Don’t choose for me. Give me a remember me button that makes it last 24 hours at a minimum. Keep 20 minutes if you want for those that don’t check it.
This a Chrome-esque disaster. You can recommend all you want, but you cannot force me to do something. I will si ply not use you.
I think you're absolutely right. It all needs to simply be options to select from.
Why in the world is your submit button above your description box....
Ah uhm. well,.. uh.. Are you saying the New Ticket bar is the submit button?
No. Look at your screenshot, right under due date.
Oh - well. yea,.. there it is. Huh.
What browser are you using?
LOL gene what did you do! I'm in firefox now, I'm playing with screensize, I'm doing everything and I can't replicate this....
Who me? (innocent look)
Looks find in Chrome - but can move things around (whopps) resetting the browser sets it back. Reset Firefox (54.0.1) reset the page settings and the Submit button is at the bottom now.
Good deal :) I'm still going to look into what went on in there. I know that there is also an active bug right now where datepicker will just stop working.... so if that happens just manually enter the date.
The strange part is that mine has been fine all day. Previously I was seeing either a duplicate C: or "Not available" "NaN".
Today? just E: and C:
Awesome! That is actually not so strange as I did clear up some storage issues. Scott's issue is likely completely unrelated to yours. Yours was cleared up as I reconstructed how we were storing our data. As soon as I did that your issue was resolved (it was the driving force behind the change but it is a huge upgrade to our backend so it was needed). As for Scott's issue, this is an issue with what is being sent to us from the agent. The last line is actually the return code which I just need to filter out, that's nothing. However the D drive not showing it's information is intriguing. The agent obviously couldn't get a read on the drive. I'll be looking into this one later today.